Welcome to e-Marketing Concepts!

Friday, January 30, 2009

Size Matters

I mean size of sale - get your mind out of the gutter.

Originally, I was going to do an entire post on this topic (evidenced by my referencing it in my first post). But I sort of covered what I was going to use it as an example for previously, so I'll just post it as a soundbite.

The Gentleman Grafter is a little article about a local celebrity in New York - Joe Ades, who sells $5 potato peelers in Union Square. He lives in an upscale apartment and eats at fancy restaurants (drinking nothing but champagne). The secret of his success?

Volume. Here's his quote:
"People say, ‘How can you make any money selling something for a dollar?’ You sell a lot, that’s how."

This is not a post about e-marketing, but about marketing in general - something does not have to be expensive to be profitable. Margins can be small, if volume is high enough. Just ask Radiohead what $4 per album earns them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment